Keeping Your Teeth Healthy During Orthodontic Treatment
We know that it can be difficult to practice proper oral hygiene during orthodontic treatment. Brackets and wires can get in the way of areas you need to clean and food particles can more easily accumulate. Because of this, practice proper oral hygiene is more important during orthodontic treatment than ever before.
Why Good Oral Hygiene During Braces Is Important
If you neglect oral hygiene habits during your orthodontic treatment, you’re at an increased risk for dental cavities, tooth decay, and gum disease. Caring for your teeth while wearing braces may require a little extra effort, but we promise it will pay off. This extra effort will ensure that:
- You avoid demineralization – Allowing plaque to accumulate on the teeth may cause white scarring to occur. This is called demineralization.
- Your treatment is completed on time – If you neglect your dental health, this can cause tooth decay, gum disease, and broken brackets. These issues will slow down your treatment.
- You have a positive orthodontic experience – Healthy teeth will allow you to enjoy braces without pain, aches, or sensitivity caused by cavities or decay.
- Your teeth are whiter than ever – Patients who practice good oral hygiene will enjoy bright, white, and beautiful teeth once the braces are removed.
Good Oral Hygiene During Orthodontic Treatment
Below are a few tips on keeping your teeth healthy while your braces are on:
- Visit the dentist – Dr. Behnaz Raisdana and the hygienists here at Auburn Family Dental are trained to view around braces and brackets to identify problems before they become severe. Visiting our office every six months will help us find any issues before they get out of hand.
- Floss daily – Flossing is vital when you’re wearing braces. We know it can be more difficult, but we have tips and tools that can help you more easily floss during orthodontic treatment.
- Know the symptoms – If you begin experiencing tooth sensitivity, swollen or bleeding gums, or toothaches, please contact our office immediately.
Here at Auburn Family Dental, your dental health is important to us, especially during your orthodontic treatment. For tips on how to care for your teeth during your time with braces, or to make an appointment for a dental cleaning and exam, please contact our Wichita, KS family dental office!