4 Common Reasons for Tooth Loss
The reasons for tooth loss are numerous. But of these reasons, a few stand out as the most common. Below are 4 of the most common causes of tooth loss and how to keep your natural teeth intact and healthy!
- Cases of severe tooth decay – Serious cases of dental cavities and tooth decay can damage the structure of a tooth severely that the tooth is more likely to break and fall out because of something minor, like chewing or biting food.
- Necessary tooth extractions – When a tooth becomes infected and can’t be fixed by root canal therapy, it may become necessary to extract it.
- Gum disease or gum recession – If gum disease goes untreated, it will eventually develop into periodontitis. Periodontitis is an advanced and severe form of gum disease, which can cause lead to the loosening and eventual loss of teeth.
- Combat and contact sports – Both contact sports (like football and hockey) and combat sports (like karate and boxing) can result in major facial injuries, including tooth loss or damage. This is a risk you take, whether you’re a professional or a beginner.
Tooth Loss Prevention Tips
- Floss your teeth every day
- Avoid smoking or using tobacco products
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day for two minutes at a time
- Visit Auburn Family Dental every six months for regular dental cleanings and exams
- Wear a mouth guard or other mouth protection when playing sports
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and to wash away harmful bacteria
Here at Auburn Family Dental, we know the importance of doing everything possible to retain your natural teeth. To learn more about how to prevent tooth loss, or to make an appointment to get fitted for a custom mouthguard, please contact Auburn Family Dental at our Wichita, Kansas dental office today!